Job title: Museum Interpreter
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Museum Interpreter will greet visitors, staff front desk, facilitate ticket sales, and assist with crowd control while also answering phones and assisting with administrative tasks as needed. A key component of this position as Museum Interpreter will be to host several guided tours daily in rotation with other staff members. The Museum Interpreter must be a team player who is committed to excellent customer service and passionate about the history of Las Vegas, conducting themselves professionally while mindful of the goals and the mission of The Neon Museum. This position reports directly to the Performance and Culture Manager. The Museum Interpreter is required to attend all staff meetings and additional meetings as determined by the President & CEO.
Essential Job Functions
* Greet guests in a courteous and professional manner.
* Facilitate ticket sales in a timely and professional manner.
* Accurate and efficient cash-handling.
* Enter correct admission fees, codes, and coupons.
* Properly interface with database system to ensure accurate capturing of guest data.
* Properly record payment and provide accurate change to customer.
* Promote the sale of Museum memberships.
* Answer phones as needed in a professional manner, transferring calls to appropriate staff members.
* Maintain a professional and tidy front desk area.
* Provide courteous and professional crowd control as needed.
* Present exhibit related educational programming to Museum visitors via an informed, patient and enthusiastic tour experience.
* Enforce all Museum policies at all times.
* Provide assistance as needed at Museum special events and unique tour scenarios.
* Assists in a variety of staff operations, performing special projects and additional assignments as requested.
* Build positive relationships with guests to ensure repeat visitors and an exceptional Museum experience.
* Provide accurate information about the Museum including, but not limited to, admission fees, hours of operation, events and programs, directions, exhibits and general policies.
* Field questions about the Neon Museum, Las Vegas, Las Vegas history and related topics with enthusiasm and positivity.
The ideal candidate must value the Neon Museum’s mission and articulate that mission with authentic passion. Minimum two years’ customer service experience. Minimum two years’ cash-handling experience. Possess excellent customer relation skills with a friendly, nature. Able to communicate effectively with a diverse group of people. Able to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner. Must be dependable and professional in all situations. Must be able to firmly, effectively and professionally enforce Neon Museum policies at all times. Must use absolute discretion in all dealings with Neon Museum constituents. Must have some flexibility with regard to scheduling. Comfortable speaking in front of large groups. Comfortable with a variety of fundamental administrative tasks. Able to prioritize and multi-task effectively. Ability to tolerate numerous interruptions throughout the day. Demonstrates the ability to work effectively as member of a team. Interest in history, Las Vegas history, art, architecture, preservation or neon signs a plus.
Requires working outside in extreme heat and cold during tours, requires standing, requires face-to-face discussions with individuals or teams, requires public speaking, requires contact with others (face-to-face, by telephone, or otherwise), requires work with external customers or the public, requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions
Ability to work both indoors and outdoors for extended periods of time. Ability to walk for extended periods of time. Ability to sit for extended periods of time. Ability to lift 50 pounds.
Ability to tolerate numerous interruptions throughout the day. Demonstrates the ability to work effectively as member of a team. Interest in history, Las Vegas history, art, architecture, preservation or neon signs a plus.
Basic Skills: Active listening, critical thinking, monitoring, reading comprehension and speaking
Social Skills: Coordination, instructing, negotiation, persuasion, service orientation and social perceptiveness.